The carrot bread is a cake-like bread. It is great for a snack or a full meal combined with your favourite beverage. It is very rich and nutritious and helps to increase vegetable intake while still giving an awesome taste.
It is a way to bring in variety to the everyday bread recipe. The ingredients used are easy to find in the local market or a grocery store.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded/grated carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup shredded/grated coconut
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Carrot Bread. Photo: Vegan Cooking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 9×5″ bread loaf with non-stick baking spray or veg oil and set aside.
- Mix the carrots, eggs, oil, yoghurt, coconut, raisins, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until these ingredients are well combined and set aside. This is the liquid mixture
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. This is the dry mixture
- Gently and gradually add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture and stir until combined. This forms a batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 350 for one hour. To test if the bread is done, insert a toothpick into the centre of the bread if it comes out without any crumbs stuck to it, it’s ready.
- Let the bread cool for 5 minutes in the pan, run a knife along the edges and remove from the pan. And let it cool.
- Slice and serve.