Kunun (millet drink) as it is fondly called is one rich locally made drinks commonly found in the northern part of Nigeria. When ever I am within the northern part or north central of Nigeria I never let a day pass without having at least 60cl of kunu (millet drink). It is rich, creamy, tasty and its health benefits are numerous.
Due to the high intensity of the sun in this part of the country, kunun like other nutritious drinks ( nunu, fura d’nunu, ) are one of the best resort commonly consumed when one is dehydrated or thirsty. Kunun is made from available natural materials through some process such as fermentation and its healthy for all to consume based on its health benefits and coupled with the fact that it’s not an alcoholic drink.
Recipe for kunun (millet drink): 1. Millet 2. Water 3. Ginger 4. Sugar (optional)5. Sweet potatoes 6. Clove
Other materials: 1.Bowls 2. Sieve 3. Lid 4. Blender
Method of preparation
1. After getting the millet, ensure it properly clean from particulate matter such as stones and other strands of weed. For further cleaning, pour the millet in a bowl and fill with water to allow heavy matter settle below the bowl and then skim the millet into another bowl and decant the water to separate the mixture.
2. Place the clean millet in a large bowl filled with water and cover with a lid overnight or 24 hours depending on the time of preparation.
3. After allowing for the fermentation discard the water and wash the millet thoroughly.
4. Get the other recipes (ginger, sweet potatoes, cloves) chopped and Place the millet with the recipes in a blender and blend till its very fine and smooth with water just enough to make it paste.
5. Sieve the mixture(millet, cloves, sweet potatoes, ginger) and discard the leftover chaff or residue from the sieve.
6. Decant the mixture(suspended water) after it must have settled for some hours and leave the settled viscous mixture.
7. Make two separate parts of the mixture A and B.
7a. To the part A, add boiled water to the mixture and stir thoroughly. It will be viscous.
7b. To the part B, add water(not boiled) to the mixture and stir thoroughly. It will be watery.
8. Now mix the both parts again A and B and stir. You may filter again with a fine mesh to get a very smooth drink. After which your drink is ready to be served. At this point, you may decide to add sugar to it and refrigerate it to get a chilled drink.
1. It helps to decrease cholesterol level.
2. It lowers risk of diabetes.
3. It helps to boost the immune system.
4. It helps to enhance essential fat.
5. It is rich in vitamins.
6. It is helps in muscle relaxation.
Thanks for reading and feel free to share.
Questions and contributions are welcomed.