In this discussion, I will be telling you virtually everything you need to know on how to apply and get your Nigerian international passport. The current types (in terms of color variation), the cost for each of the types and also the location of NIS in case you will want to visit their office.
As a citizen of any given country, it is of a great importance to acquire necessary documents such as the national e-passport not just for traveling sake but also as a means of recognition and identification as a citizen of that country.
The Nigerian international passport is one of the high valued documents in the federal Republic of Nigeria that every citizen should posses. This hand held document is endorsed by the Economic Community of West African States, (ECOWAS).
However, aside it’s relevance as a means of recognition as a citizen of a country, it is one of the first necessary documents you need to acquire before applying for Visa to travel out to other countries.
Who can Apply for Nigerian international passport?
During my visit to the Nigerian Immigration Service, NIS to apply for my e-passport, I noticed that there were kids who were there too for biometric capturing. These kids were brought in by their parents.
Therefore, the document can be possesed by:
. Older adults
Who is Responsible for issuing the Nigerian e-passport?
A lot of people have been victims of scam and fraud. This is because they trusted a third party who claim to be in contact or connection with the institution that issues the Nigerian e-passport.
However, it is the sole duty of the Nigerian Immigration Service, NIS to issue and oversee every processes involved in procuring this paper, its recovery, and renewal. Therefore, let no one deceive you.
As you read along, you will get to know all that is involved in procuring this document.
Types of Nigerian international Passport
An Interview with an NIS official (name withheld) made me to know that we have different types of e-passport in Nigeria.
I hope my guess is right that you didn’t know before now?
Here are the types and color differences of the Nigerian intl. passport
1. Diplomat passport:
This type of intl. Passport comes in red cover and is approved by the president. This type is for top government officials and Nigerian diplomats.
Requirements for Diplomat passport
- Application letter from applicant’s ministry or organization.
- Two recent copies of passport photographs.
- Letter of appointment or recent promotion letter.
- A copy of means of identification
- Birth certificate or declaration of age from the court.
- Certificate of return from INEC.
2. Official passport:
This type comes in blue cover. It is for commissioners, officials in federal and state civil services, DGMs in federal and state parastatals, first class chief and other official personnels.
Requirements for official passport
- The requirements for the Nigerian international passport is the same as that of the diplomat passport.
3. Standard passport:
This type comes in green cover. This is the normal standard Nigerian green passport that we all know. It is available for people who wish to travel out to other country.
Requirements for standard passport
Below are documents required to process your Nigeria standard electronic passport.
- A Signed and dated passport application form.
- Birth certificate
- Local government state of origin.
- Payment slip
- Two recent copies of your passport photographs.
- Guarantors driver’s license.
4. Pilgrim passport/Credential:
This type of passport varies depending on the year of issuance. This is issued to citizens who wish to travel for pilgrimage.
Requirements for pilgrim passport
A form will be provided containing the following informations:
- Applicant’s full name and address
- Sex of the applicant
- Birth certificate
- Spelt out duties assigned to applicant.
- Date of visit, duration and it’s expiry date.
- Country to be visited.
5. Seaman passport:
This type of passport has a maroon color cover. This pass book is issued to applicants who work in the sea.
Requirements for seaman passport
Guarantor’s form well signed by the commissioner for oaths.
Copy of guarantor’s mean of identification.
Local government of origin
Two copies of your recent passport photographs
Cost Of Nigerian International Passport In 2019
The federal Republic of Nigeria has recently approved the 64 booklet pages which has a validity of ten years.
Before the approval, what existed was the 32 and 64 booklet pages with a validity of five years. Issued by the NIS. The Nigerian immigration service has stated that the new 64 booklet pages of the nation’s passport with the 10 years validity has the same price for all age group.
Here are the various cost of the e-passport:
- N30,000 for standard e-passport of 32 booklet pages with five years validity.
- N38,000 for standard e-passport of 64 booklet pages with five years validity.
- N20,000 for official e-passport of 32 booklet pages with five years validity.
- N72,000 for the new standard e-passport of 64 booklet pages with ten years validity.
Step By Step Guide On How To Apply For Nigeria e-Passport
1.Log on to www.immigration.gov.ng/passport/epassport.
2. Click on passport type and select standard.
3. Click on processing county and select your choice country.
4. Click on start application, fill out the form displayed and click on next.
5. Click on proceed to online payment.
6. Click and select currency option and continue.
7. Click on payment method and select your choice Bank and continue.
8. Print your acknowledgment slip which contain transaction ID, Application ID and reference number.
9. Proceed to your choice Bank with the printed payment acknowledgment slip. The bank will issue you receipt that contain your validation number which will be used for confirmation of payment on the NIS portal.
10. Submit your printed slips along side with other requirements in person at the NIS office closest to you and wait for call up.
However, if you don’t want to do it through their portal, or you are not in the country and you need it urgently, then you should walk into the NIS office or Nigeria Embassy in the country where you live and apply directly in person for the e-passport.
For recovery and renewal of your passport log on to the NIS portal @www.immigration.gov.ng.
Where Is Nigeria Immigration Service Located In The Various States Of Nigeria?
Here are some states in Nigeria where NIS offices are located.
- The headquarter is located at Shehu Shagari complex, airport road, sauka, Abuja, FCT Nigeria.
- Yidi road, Agodi, Ibadan
- Customs house, yelwa bauchi, Bauchi
- Ikpoba Hill by command headquarters, Benin city, Edo state.
- 6, kashim Ibrahim road, command headquarters makurdi, Benue state.
- PWD bus stop, former passport office, ikeja, Lagos state.
- Customs house, onitsha road owerri, Imo state.
- Federal secretariat, Ahmadu Bello way, kaduna.
- Customs building, Bodija ibadan, oyo state.
- Federal secretariat, gwagwalada, Garki, Abuja.
- Federal secretariat complex, portharcourt, River state.
- Km 4 onitsha/Benin road, Asaba, opposite okwe housing Estate, Delta state.
In this article, we have been able to outline the cost of Nigerian International Passport and how to successfully apply for it even without leaving the comfort of your home.
For those who are yet to apply for their international passport, this article is for you. Those who have acquire theirs but wish to renew it, you can also find vital information about that here.
I hope you find this useful.