Traveling to the United States of America, USA has always been the dream of lots of foreigners around the world. The US is known for her amazing beauty, which ranges from the Mississippi-Missouri River, which is among the fifth world longest rivers, the renowned statue of liberty found in the New York city, the Rocky mountain of above 4,300m in Colorado, the museums and galleries of Washington DC, recreational parks and lots of historical events.
Although, there are lots of other reasons why people wish to sojourn to the United States, aside sightseeing. Nationals from all over the world who intend to travel to the US, do so for reasons such as, business engagement, further study, job seeking and work, while others do so for medical treatment and for permanent residence.
However, to achieve your dream of traveling to America from Nigeria, there are steps and barriers you need to overcome in order to gain the American visa.
The US visa is a compulsory document a Nigerian must acquire before being granted entry into the USA, unlike the citizens of visa waiver countries who do not require to apply for the US visa before entering America.
This article answers the question on how a Nigerian can come to America. As you read along, you will get every vital information you need to know about USA acquisition in Nigeria.
Reasons Why Your US Visa Application May be Rejected or Denied
Here are some of the reasons why your American visa application may be denied or rejected. Thus it is pertinent you avoid failing in these areas.
– Wrong visa application: Ensure yor run a good scrutiny on the visa requirements and the type you are eligible for. Do not apply for visa you can not provide required documents for.
– Communication Barrier: Ensure you understand all the information the interviewer is passing across. Feel free to ask for an interpreter if you don’t understand the communication or ask him to be slow in speaking to avoid assuming wrongly.
– Being Unprepared: Ensure you are prepared well ahead for all the process and requirements that may be demanded for the type of visa you seek.
– Wrong Biodata: Your application will be rejected if your data is incorrect and does not match with other documents you provided. Be sure that your information are correct and sufficient.
– Being rude and disrespectful to the officers at the embassy and your interviewer may result to visa application denial.
Types of USA visa
There are different types of visas applicants can apply for based on their purpose or reasons for traveling. The US visa type include.
- Study/F1 visa: The US student visa is a compulsory document for students who wish to further their education in the United States of America. It is therefore mandated for non-immigrant students to apply for the US F1 visa.
- US O1 visa: This is a US sponsored visa to persons with special and extraordinary skills in various fields of endeavors like business, science, athletics, art and others. These individuals must have been recognized globally, nationally or locally for their exceptional abilities.
- USA B visa(B1 and B2): The US B visas are of two categories. B1 and B2 visas. These visas are non-immigrant visas that cover for people who intend to visit America for business, medical treatment, holidays and tourism. The B visa can also be used for other short engagement within its duration.
- US K-3 visa: This US visa covers for relatives or partners of the US citizen who wish to visit or live with their family in the United States. An American will have to apply for this visa on behalf of hi/her spouse or relatives.
- US J1 visa: Individuals who wish to visit America for a short time, for a training or short service as a summer student, a teacher, an intern, a researcher or specialist can apply for this visa type.
- US H1B and H2B visa: The H1B work visa allows skilled workers into the states for a period of three years. The H1B visa has to be sponsored by an employer from the states. While the H2B visa allows unskilled workers into the states temporarily from a US sponsor.
Documents Required for USA visa application
- Here are the documents needed to apply for the general type of USA visa.
- Your Nigerian e-passport with at least 6 months validity and two blank pages of the booklet for visa stamps.
- The US barcoded DS-160 visa application form.
- Two passport photographs meeting the US consulate requirement.
- Letter of introduction stating your purpose of travel, accommodation, flight and travel itinerary.
- Bank financial statement.
- Nonrefundable visa application fee.
- Other supporting files and documents as recommended by the consulate
US visa fee
The US visa fee is dependent on the type of visa you are applying for.
– The US B visas(B1 and B2) has an application fee of about USD 160.
– The study F1 US visa cost approximately USD 160.
– The US K visa which is for US citizen fiancé(e) or spouse cost approximately USD 265.
– The US J visa for exchange visitors is cost USD 160.
– The O1 US visa for persons with special or extra skill cost approximately USD 190.
– The H US visa for workers, trainee cost approximately USD 190.
Where to Apply for the US visa
To apply for the US visa, you need to log on to the US visa portal to fill out the form and other requirements. However, there are things you will be required to do at the American embassy in Nigeria. Things like attending interview and submission of documents that won’t be done online.
Here are the US embassy in Nigeria:
– US embassy in Abuja; Plot 1075 Diplomatic drive, central district area, Abuja. Nigeria.
– US general consulate in Lagos; 2, Walter Carrington crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos. Nigeria (ng.usembassy.gov)
How to Apply for American visa
This is a step by step guide on how to apply for the US visa in Nigeria.
- Your photograph may be required or a capturing at the consulate incase you may be required to come in person.
- The US DS-160 visa application form will be filed out neatly and submitted at the US department of state website by you. Print your barcoded confirmation page.
- Proceed to the bank (GTB) to pay your visa fee or you can do it online and obtain a receipt as a proof of payment.
- Next is to fix a date for the visa interview appointment. Go along with all your documents.
- Take your biometrics and finger printing process at the consulate.
- You will now undergo the visa interview process. Ensure all your informations are correct.
- Your visa will be delivered to you one your visa application is approved.
What is the US visa processing time?
It is important that non-immigrant visa applicants should apply ahead of their travel date. Although it takes 3 working days to process your US visa unless there is a delay or lots of visa application process piling.
This is an informational guide on traveling to USA from Nigeria. It is a means to guide US visa applicants from Nigeria in their quest to acquiring it.
Thanks for reading. Feel free to share and subscribe for latest update.