Do you desire to know how to start nursery and primary school in Nigeria? Here’s a perfect guide for you.
Human needs are insatiable. Education is one of the major basic needs of a man. One of the ways to fulfilling those basic needs is by starting a nursery or primary school. Birth rate is increasing every day in Nigeria.
Parents are searching for schools to enroll their children in every year. Some parents prefer school in the neighborhood while some prefer school that have magnificent names and reputation. It all depends on choice.
Cheapest University In Nigeria 2020[Including Their School Fees]
There are so many motives, reasons why people start school they are:
- For Business Purpose: School business is highly lucrative because education or knowledge is not just what people “want” but what people “need” for the fulfillment of one’s dreams and potentials. Doing it as a business will yield a huge income. Quality education is what every parents needs for their children.
Note: The standard of your school will determine how much you can charge as school fees.
- Some start school because they have the passion to raise youngsters and make their lives productive. Life without good and solid foundation can be frustrating. This way the pupil can pay school fees or offer free education to some people.
- Some start school as medium to help the poor masses, less privilege, disable etc. it can be one’s mission or vision. In this case, there will be no payment of school fees. Everything is free.
Presently there are thousands of nursery and primary schools in Nigeria but that will not discourage you from starting yours if you want. There is still room for more.
Whatever may the reason you have to start school should be clearly defined. Defining your purpose will help you to be focused. Though quality education for the children should be your driving force.
STEPS TO START A NURSERY/PRIMARY SCHOOL
- Choose a name for your school
- Register your Nursery/Primary school
- Find a good location for your school
- Purchase or rent a land or building
- Provide School Facilities
- Design a school uniform
- Set up a team of teachers , counselors or Hire Staff
- Print Branded Notebooks
- Publicise Your School
HOW TO START NURSERY OR PRIMARY SCHOOL IN NIGERIA
- CHOOSE A NAME FOR YOUR SCHOOL
Before starting a nursery/primary school in Nigeria one of the things you will consider is the name of your school. Choose a name that is simple catchy and unique. It has a way of adding value to your school.
You can use your name or any other name that comes to your mind. For instance, if you are “Florence” by name. You can write it this way “Floxy Nursery/Primary School”. Wow! Someone is tickled here… yes, I know you like its simplicity and uniqueness.
- REGISTER YOUR NURSERY/PRIMARY SCHOOL
This is one of the most important aspect in the establishment of Nursery /primary school. Register it at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). You may need the service of a lawyer here. For your school to be legal it must be registered and approved by the government. Visit the ministry of Education to make some inquiries.
How To Register Your Business With CAC Without The Services Of A Lawyer
- FIND A GOOD LOCATION FOR YOUR SCHOOL:
Choosing a good location is very necessary.
Things to consider while choosing location for your school:
- Accessible Area: Find a place that can be reached, entered, used and seen. Parents can easily pick their children
- Secured Areas: Choose a place that is safe for children example residential areas and work places. Places that are not prone to attacks and dangers example Bush/forest areas and remote places.
- Standard Area/School: If you want to choose this area depending on how much you have. Find out if there’s any other school around that side. If yes, check the standard of schools around and know how you can improve on what these schools provide.
- Check your capital: Don’t build your school where you know that your schools fees are cheaper than how much you will spend on a daily basis. If your school fees are cheap, go to cheaper places. But if your school fees is high you go to upscale areas i.e. a place designed for or used by people who belong to a high social class or have a lot of money.
- PURCHASE OR RENT A LAND OR BUILDING
You can purchase or rent a land or building depending on how much you can afford. The building should be safe, well ventilated and conducive for learning.
The building should accommodate all the facilities needed for nursery or primary school. Make sure the compound has enough space, for school assembly and recreational activities.
- PROVIDE SCHOOL FACILITIES: To establish nursery or primary school. You have to provide several facilities in your school such as:
- Desks and chairs
- Textbooks and notebooks
- First aid kits
- Markers ,computer, water supply, ceiling fan or air conditioner(optional), shelves, library, musical instrument, charts, games, swings, clean toilets and bathroom etc.
These things are crucial. They make Learning environment lively, conducive and attractive.
One of the fastest ways to get parents register their children in your school is by ensuring you acquire basic & best facilities in your school. Who no like better thing?
- DESIGN A SCHOOL UNIFORM
Your school uniform is one of the fastest ways to publicise your school. When the school uniform is fashionable, attractive and unique quick entry to your school becomes inevitable.
- SET UP A TEAM OF TEACHERS , COUNCELLORS OR HIRE STAFFS
To start a nursery or primary school in Nigeria, you need to employ good & qualified teachers to help you, to handle different subject to be taught in the school.
You need to delegate authorities to make things easier for you.
You also need good people that can help you in everyday activities in the school such as:
- Security guards
- Well trained bus driver
- Medical Practitioners and more
There are two things to consider while employing teachers:
- Moral: You should make sure that the teacher you employ has a good heart. One thing is to be educated another is to a good character. Parents will not like to take their children where they will be maltreated i.e. child abuse.
- Academic Qualification: The minimum academic qualification for a teacher in nursery/primary school is NCE. You can also employ B.Sc and M. Sc holders.
- CHOOSE A MOTTO
When choosing a motto, you should think of something memorable that portrays the importance of education. It should be something that will pass a message across of how your nursery/primary school will be like.
- CHOOSE AN ACADEMIC CURRICULUM
You need an academic curriculum that will align with what your pupil needs.
You can decide to use the Nigerian academic curriculum or American and Bristish school curriculum.
- DESIGN A LOGO
Find a well-trained graphic designer to create a logo for your nursery or primary school. It’s necessary you have it.
- PRINT BRANDED NOTEBOOKS
If you want to print branded notebook for your nursery or primary school.
- Hire printing press to print it
- Put your school’s name, logo, motto, address and contact information.
You can choose to sell it to your pupil for classwork, assignment. You can still use it as a means to advertise your school business.
- PUBLICISE YOUR SCHOOL
Now you’ve taken all the necessary steps to start your nursery or primary school in Nigeria. Having registered and approved by the government, publicise your school. Go to radio stations, TVchannels for advert, create a website or blog, print flyers.
Join relevant school association, let them see you have quality education to offer.
To start nursery and primary school in Nigeria you have to define your purpose. Provide the necessary equipment needed. You don’t have to start your own school just to make money without knowing a lot of things involve.
Giving quality education to the children and not allowing them to be maltreated by their teachers or fellow pupil are very important.
I hope with the following steps I have shown you in this article, you’ve learnt how to start your nursery/primary school in Nigeria.
Please share this information to others via Facebook, twitter etc.